Sweet Potato Dauphinoise – amazing soft and creamy layered sweet potato, bacon, cream and garlic with a smattering of cheese on top. What is not to love!
Sweet Potato Dauphinoise
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (weight approx 450 gm)
- 300 ml cream
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 4 rashers of chopped bacon (we use smoked streaky)
- 1 onion (sliced finely)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fat/lard
- grated cheese (optional)
- Peel and very finely slice sweet potatoes. I use quite a sharp knife as I don't have one of those ingenious potato slicers (mandoline)... yet!
- Layer slices into a pot steamer and steam for about 10 mins until sweet potato is soft but not falling apart completely.
- While sweet potato is steaming, gently fry the onions in fat until slightly softened, add bacon bits, continue frying until bacon colours and onions are even softer.
- Add crushed garlic and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add cream to pan and heat - keep stirring until cream is hot but not bubbling.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a baking dish, I use one that is 6 x 9 inch, add a third of the cream/bacon mix to the bottom and spread around.
- Layer half the sweet potato on top, follow by another third of the cream/bacon mix.
- Layer rest of sweet potato on top, followed by last third of the cream/bacon mix.
- If you wish, sprinkle light layer of cheese on top.
- Put into oven for 30 minutes, I cook at 175 degrees Celsius (fanbake). You may need to check and cover with tin foil if cheese is getting to brown.
- Leave to stand for a few minutes before serving.