Can you believe that I am sat at the beach typing away on my laptop in the car while my girls have a surfing lesson??!! As it’s during the school holidays and I’ve already taken three, yes I said three, weeks off work, I thought it best that I at least work an hour or two while they are being entertained by the gusty surf and their very large and unwieldy surfboards.
This recipe is the very happy result of a ‘leftover’ breakfast that has become a fast favourite for Mike and me. It all started with some burgers that I’d made after watching one of those free ‘primal’ online video’s that had been on a week previous. The Primal Palate duo were making beef burgers named Coffee Break Sliders. Their seasoning sounded so off the wall that I decided to have a go myself, it being a combination of ground coffee and their current favourite ‘Adobo’ seasoning.
Not being able to find their recipe online, it must be in the one cookbook of theirs that I don’t own #
Bring on the breakfast ‘leftover’ fry up! I love that being #primal means I don’t have to shy away from a decent weekend fried to the max meal!! Here’s what our fry up included. Leftover Primal Cheese Buns (recipe from the PrimalGirl – absolutely amazing but that is another blog post), finely diced chorizo, leftover onions from the BBQ, chopped up tomato, a little bit of bacon (what fry up doesn’t include bacon!), and chunks of leftover coffee/adobo burgers. We fried all these ingredients up in a little pan, in a little butter and bacon fat (any #primal fat will do). And when it was all nice and golden I added a little salt and pepper, a light sprinkling of cheese and then, the genius part, cracked a couple of eggs on top and put a lid on it for a few minutes.
Heaven on a plate. It smelt amazing and was just so tasty. We’ve made it again with other leftovers, using things like sausage, sweet potato, roast meat, ratatouille, and when I haven’t used the coffee seasoned burgers I have added a liberal sprinkling of adobo seasoning and coffee grounds. Definitely our go to breakfast now.
- Meat burgers roughly chopped
- Large tomato roughly chopped
- 1-2 slices bacon roughly chopped
- Chorizo small handful finely chopped
- Fried onion maybe a tablespoon
- 1 1/2 Primal Cheese buns roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- Pepper to season.
- Fat for frying - however you like it
- Fried the bread, chorizo, bacon and burger bits in the pan (using butter and bacon fat)
- As they crisped up, I added the tomato and onion and mixed all together
- When everything looked good and fried together, I cracked two eggs over the top and put a lid on the pan
- 2-3 minutes later, the eggs were cooked and it was ready to eat!
- We've made this many times, when I don't have cheese buns, I simply add a slice or two of our paleo bread, roughly chop and fry, plus I will add a small handful of grated cheese about halfway through the cooking. If I don't have leftover meat that has used Adobo seasoning as it's rub, here's how I make it. 1 Tbsp salt, 1/2 Tbsp Oregano, 1/2 Tbsp Onion Powder, 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder, and 1 tsp tumeric. I sprinkle some of this over the fry up. Also I often will add a sprinkle of coffee grounds as well. Truly amazing.