These I just had to make – Mum used to make a gingerbread loaf when I was a kid and it was one of my favourite things to eat, especially spread with real butter. Mouth is drooling now at the thought. This is another recipe that I modified ever so slightly from Elana Amsterdam’s book, Gluten-free Cupcakes. If you liked cupcakes and muffins before going paleo, then I definitely recommend these recipes, albeit with a few minor modifications.
These have a lovely rich but gentle gingery flavour, though I guess you could add more ginger if you wanted to or like Elana recommends, adding minced fresh ginger to give it an extra zing.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil (I used a mild olive oil)
- 1/3 cup molasses
- Whisk together the eggs, oil and molasses.
- Add to dry ingredients to the egg mix and beat together.
- Scoop the cake mix into either paper cupcake liners or silicone cupcake moulds. About half full.
- You should get 10-12 cupcakes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, 175 degrees Celcius (fanbake), adjust for baking in your oven. Ours works best on fanbake but I think it's a little hot.
- They are ready when only a couple of crumbs appear on a toothpick when poked into a cupcake.
- These are brilliant topped with Cream Cheese icing.