We had a couple of spare hours this afternoon so we took the opportunity to put all the seedlings into the garden. I have my fingers crossed that we are doing the right thing! Mike has rabbit-proofed most of the fence around the gardens but the ground is so hard and rocky we’re hoping that this will deter them from digging where we haven’t put down the chicken wire.
We’ve planted two rows each of onions and garlic, a row of beetroot, a row of leeks, six tomato plants (this is experimental) and one courgette vine. The soil seems to be composting down nicely, both gardens were full of big fat worms so I took that as a good sign. I have found I’m still the tiniest bit scared of worms, I don’t know why but every worm I found while planting made me shudder. The girls aren’t bothered by them, nor are the chickens 🙂
The girls helped to plant but spent most of their time hammering nails and building their own see-saws. It bought back memories of my own childhood making things like that in my own back garden with my sisters. The chickens just scratched about, all trying their best to sneak into the new garden perhaps they want to eat the new plants as well as the rabbits.
Next weekend weather permitting, we’ll put out the plants destined for pots, the potatoes and more tomatoes. Plus I’m going to sew some flower seeds around the gardens. I really hope they grow as they’ll not only look pretty but should smell nice and entice the bees and butterflies.